lemonyon model




lemonye house


National Historic Landmark

The LeMoyne House
49 East Maiden Street
Washington, PA

The LeMoyne House is a two story sandstone structure built in 1812 by Dr. F. Julius LeMoyne. Though many additions and changes have been made to the building, our replica is based on its original design and features the distinctive rooftop garden where Dr. LeMoyne grew medicinal herbs and raised honeybees. Dr. LeMoyne and his family were very active in the Underground Railroad and the house was the center of antislavery activity in Southwestern Pennsylvania for much of the 1800s. Slaves were spirited into the attic or basement for safe refuge along their dangerous journey to freedom. Interestingly, the beehives were occasionally used as effective weapons and often launched down onto the street to ward off violent protesters that threatened to disrupt the regular meetings of the Washington County Anti-Slavery Society, which Dr. LeMoyne founded in 1835. The house is a National Historic Landmark of the Underground Railroad.